This download includes 22 unique descriptive writing activities and lessons perfect for 3rd – 6th grade. These fun and interactive writing lessons can be easily implemented in your classroom. These descriptive writing activities will teach your students to use precise language, recall specific details, and so much more.
Each activity in this download includes:
* Complete instructions
* Multiple templates
* Writing prompts
* Numerous game cards
The following activities are included in this download:
1. “Line ‘Em Up” – Students line up for specials or lunch after they name a specific example of the topic given on the activity card. Multiple topic ideas provided.
2. “Detail, Details, Details” – Students are given one minute to write as many nouns and verbs related to the category card chosen. Multiple category card ideas provided.
3. “Team Details” – This activity builds upon the previous activity.
4. “Cross Out” – Students work in teams to write as many nouns and verbs as possible. Activity builds upon previous activity.
5. “Properly Detailed” – Teaches students to quickly recall proper nouns.
6. “T-N-T” – Teaches students to quickly recall proper nouns.
7. “Wipe Out” – Teaches students to be as precise as possible.
8. “Concentric Circles” – Activity builds attribute words and details.
9. “Detail Football” – Works on building detail with speed.
10. “Paint Your Details” – Teaches students to recognize details in a paragraph or story.
11. “Natural Details” – Students list details that they observe in nature
12. “Pass the Tassel” – Activity that pushes for speed to promote immediate recall of specific details.
13. “Picture It” – Teaches students to observe details in their surroundings.
14. “Beads, Beads, Beads” – Activity that pushes for speed to promote immediate recall of specific details.
15. “Bump & Shout” – This activity was designed as a culminating activity to several of the previous detail-building games and reminds students to always use precise language.
16. “Spice It Up” – Teaches students during quick editing processes to replace generic vocabulary with more effective word choices.
17. “Cut & Paste” – Guides writers as to when, where, and how to elaborate their ideas.
18. “Highlight & Write” – Shows writers which of their terms need support and elaboration.
19. “Picture Add-On” – Students will describe colorful pictures with action to help students learn to elaborate.
20. “Let’s Go to the Movies” – Teaching elaboration in the narrative genre.
21. “Elaboration (expository)” – Comparing generic words to precise vocabulary.
22. “Narrative Elaboration” – Activities designed to assist narrative elaboration with exercises to improve descriptions of action, characters, or setting.
This book contains over 190 pages of activities. Order your copy today!
To view the table of contents and sample activities please click on the link below.
Item #: DE01D…$27.95
Title: Just Write: With Details & Elaboration
Author: Kathryn Robinson
Format: Digital Download